Thursday, July 13, 2006

Has anyone noticed the spiritual maturity that is emerging in the contemporary "worship" market? How anyone could listen to some of these songs and still consider them to be shallow or immature blows my mind. Anyone who thinks like that either does not listen to these songs or are so totally hung up on their preferred style of “worship” music that they’ve simply become unreasonable.

I'm thinking about the song by Casting Crowns "I'll praise you in this storm", Jeremy Camp's "I still believe" and the song "Blessed be your name" (I don't know who originally wrote it, but it's newer). I was listening the local Christian "worship" station while working and they played these songs, a couple time as a matter of fact, today. The depth and maturity expressed in them is very noteworthy. I seriously think that some of these songs will be around for centuries, they are that solid, that inspirational and that darn good. I believe that a few will actually become classics on the same level as A Mighty Fortress is our God and Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.

The lyrics of the Casting Crowns song goes "...and I praise you in this storm and I will lift my hands cause you are who you are no matter where I am...and though my heart is torn, I'll praise you in this storm...my eyes look to the hills, where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth" Man, is that good stuff. That is powerful stuff. Think about what the dude is actually singing. He is singing about total release of his life into God's mighty hand. He’s declaring that no matter what his lot he is going to praise the Lord. That attitude can only be the result of a true conversion and a deep level of spiritual maturity.

The song "I still believe" was written by Jeremy Camp after his 20-something year old wife tragically died. If you know the song then you know what I'm talking about. Again, true Christ like maturity is expressed by in it.

So much for "this new christian music is of the devil...it's got jungle beats!"

Have you reached the point in your spiritual journey where you can literally praise God even when all hell is breaking loose? Have you died to self to that degree yet? The crazy thing is that doing so will bring you an unspeakable amount of peace, especially when you compare it with being angry with God.

The truth is that the Lord gives and takes away. He is the potter and we are the clay. The Apostle Paul taught us that the potter can and will fashion the clay into any sort of pottery He desires...whatever pleases Him is what He does. And since the Bible declares that God is Holy, good and righteous we can absolutely rest assured that He will never make a mistake...even if we don't get it right now.

He gives and takes away. He is in charge, He is King, He knows what’s best, He is Sovereign, He is in control…He knows more that you or I. He gives and takes away and it is always for the good to those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.

Do you want to plunge the depths of true spirituality? Then pray that God by His grace will give you this heart, this perspective and this understanding. Your life and the meaning of it will never be viewed the same again. It will be like a flood of peace. Christ said “For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it.” (Matthew 16:25)

Do yourself a favor and check those songs out and really pay attention to what the artists are saying. It's hardcore, it's raw and it will encourage you to plunge to a depth that is incredible.

Good night, I need some sleep!

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones. Proverbs 3:5-8 niv

No comments: